Posted March 8, 2013
Accion is a growing nonprofit organization dedicated to providing microloans to small business owners who do not have access to traditional sources of financing. Through our lending and other services, we help micro-entrepreneurs launch, grow, and strengthen their businesses, stabilize their incomes, create jobs and contribute to the economic revitalization of their communities. Accion Chicago is a member of the nation’s largest microlending network. Since 1994, we have made more than 3,000 loans totaling more than $23 million to individuals and small businesses throughout the Chicagoland area. We have recently expanded our service area to include the entire state of Illinois and Northwest Indiana.
The Loan Officer is the first point of contact for prospective Accion borrowers. Loan Officers are responsible for generating client leads, making loans, connecting clients to resources that support their success and providing outstanding customer service to existing, past and prospective clients.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Identify, initiate and manage strategic community partnerships that increase quality referrals from entities such as financial institutions, nonprofit organizations, government agencies, accountants, lawyers and business officers.
• Represent Accion at networking events, seminars, and conferences; frequently presenting our mission and services
• Develop, organize, and conduct workshops at Accion and/or in conjunction with community partners positioning our organization as a leader in alternative financing.
• Support Public Relations with client success stories.
• Work closely with clients to provide them with loans, ensuring client satisfaction throughout the loan application process
• Sell the loan and follow-up regularly according to policy; effectively retain renewal clients and convert potential clients into borrowers.
• Obtain information and documentation for individuals that qualify for a loan
• Ensure quality control of all data entry and provide friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful customer service to our clients’ inquiries about Accion’s loan program and requirements.
• Interview prospective borrowers and assess their ability and willingness to repay a loan.
• Analyze the information and documentation provided by the client, determine if the client qualifies for a loan and, if so, make a recommendation for approval
• Meet with clients at loan closings, ensuring that all paperwork is accurate and that information regarding loan is properly disclosed to client
• Work with clients on a one-on-one basis to deliver a range of financial education services targeted to their individual needs. These include recordkeeping assistance, cash-flow management, credit management, and referrals to other organizations. Refer to other organizations when appropriate.
• Ensure strong loan performance, including on time payments. Assist with collections calls to delinquent clients.
• Take a participative and active role in the overall implementation of the Accion program.
• BA required
• Second language fluency – Spanish a plus
• 3 years of related experience, lending, accounting, or sales experience preferred
• Excellent writing, communication, and presentation skills
• Computer skills. Proficient in Excel and Word
• Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail. Ability to multi-task a must.
• Creative problem solver
• Ability to work collaboratively in a rapidly changing and diverse environment
• Must be willing to work some nights and weekends when the need arises
• Experience in economic or community development recommended
• Valid driver’s license and automobile & insurance required
Compensation: Compensation package includes a base salary plus bonus/incentives in the low-to-mid $30Ks, commensurate with experience; paid vacation; health & dental insurance; SIMPLE IRA with matching funds and life insurance.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter declaring their interest and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit our website at www.accionchicago.org for more information.
Accion is an equal opportunity company. Minorities are encouraged to apply.